Can anything good come from war? (WW2)
Dear Parents/ Carers
Family Learning Project Year 6- Summer Term
Every term in Upper Key Stage Two all the children will be expected to undertake a project as part of their homework tasks. The projects will be linked to the current topic the children are studying in class.
We encourage children to work on the project weekly as opposed to letting it build up and rushing it days before the hand in date. We encourage parental involvement; any support you can give your child is really invaluable. Since Y6 are concentrating on their SAT’s at the moment, this project will run over 2 terms. Summer Term Project
This terms topic- Can anything good come from war?
As this will be their final project in primary school, we are giving them a bit more choice and freedom to show off as many skills as possible. Basically, as long as the project links with WW2 and reflects an appropriate amount of time and effort (min 6 hours) anything goes! Check with your teacher if you are unsure.
However, for those pupils who are struggling for ideas, here are a few:
- Build a shoebox model air raid shelter, typical wartime room, typical war time shop
- Pick an aspect of life e.g fashion, TV etc and research how that changed from pre war to present day.
- Find out about foods that were rationed and create a family’s menu for a week. You could even have a go at making one of the meals yourself!
- Make yourself a wartime costume and dress up in it e.g soldiers uniform, evacuee
- Research and make a replica WW2 plane.
- Create a ‘blitz’ book – ask your teacher to show you an example
- Create a scrapbook to show what a child may have experienced during the war- evacuation, air raids.
If you need any resources then please let your class teacher know so we can get them for you.
The project is due in on:- June 26th
Children can receive up to 500 house points for good quality projects which they can then cash in for prizes at our school shop.
If you have any questions, then please don’t hesitate to contact myself. All Projects information can be found on the website under ‘Classes’ and then ‘Year 6’.